Sunday, November 30, 2008

Winter Sun Protection

It's December, winter is coming, and along with it, cold-weather activities. If you live in the North, I'm sure you have put away your warm-weather gear, and pulled out the hats, scarves, coats, and boots. I hope you haven't put away your sunblock!

Don't think for one minute that because the temperatures are dropping, you can forgo the application of sunblock. Winter activities can result in some serious sunburns.

I came across some interesting facts published online at www.SunSmart.org.uk, and was very surprised to find out that we can still get a sunburn in a blizzard, because up to 80% of the sun's UV rays penetrate light clouds. I'm sure a sunburn is the last thing you are thinking about when bundling up to go out in a blizzard to clear the driveway!

Skiing all day can give you a severe sunburn as a result of both altitude and sun reflection from snow. The sun is more intense at higher altitudes because there is less atmosphere, smog, and pollution to filter UV rays. UV rays are intensified by as much as 80% as they bounce off the snow.

Have you ever noticed the face of someone who has spent the day outside indulging in their favorite winter activity? Between the sun, wind and cold, they have done significant damage to their skin. Not only can it be raw and chapped, but they've probably got a nasty sunburn as well.

When getting ready to go outside this winter, remember to apply sunblock. Pay particular attention to your nose, lips and chin. If you are going outside without a hat (and why would you?) remember your ears and the top of your head (solar patch) may also get burned. As an added bonus, sunblock, with a cream base, will also help protect the skin against windburn and chapping. Sunblock also gives you a thin, but extra layer between your skin and the harsh wind and cold. It could keep you feeling warmer. I can't see any reason why you wouldn't use it.

1 comment:

  1. I always get Raccoon eyes when I go skiing! I never use sunscreen on my face because it's so sticky and nasty. I probably should though, so I don't end up looking like an old rinkled leather rag.

    ReplyDelete