Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Check the UV Index

Steve French, New Holland, PA writes "After spending the day outside racking and cleaning up the yard, I spent that night suffering from a terrible sunburn. I thought I only had to worry about getting a sunburn in the summer. What gives?!"

As you experienced Steve, you can get a sunburn in the fall months too.

We expect to get a sunburn the summer months, and are usually prepared. However, any outdoor activity, whether it's relaxing at the beach, raking leaves in October, or shoveling snow in December, can increase your chances of getting sunburned. While the sun may not be as hot in October and November, UV rays are still pounding down on you. If you are going to be spending the day outside doing yard clean up, plan ahead. Be sure to check the UV index before going outside. The UV index indicates how much exposure you will get of ultraviolet light. The EPA publishes a great website, EPA SunWise, where you can get this valuable information. I have it bookmarked as a favorite on my browser. You might consider doing the same. http://www.epa.gov/SUNWISE/uvindex.html. (Sorry, you might have to cut/paste into your browser.) If you don't have a home computer, you can also obtain this information on your local TV weather channel, or in the daily newspaper.

Just remember, Steve, an ounce of prevention can save you a future of heartache. If nothing more... it will help prevent a sunburn!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I didn't even know there was such a thing! Thanks for the heads up. I ski in the winter and play tennis in the summer and I will certainly be more vigilant about knowing the UV index each time I venture out, even in the winter time.

    ReplyDelete