Friday, January 23, 2009

Allowable Liquid Amounts for Airline Travel

April 1999 was the last time we've flown for a Winter Vacation. I'm clueless about how to pack my much-needed sunscreen. Since my brush with skin cancer in 2002, I cannot travel without sunblock. What are the quantities allowed on an airplane, and how do I carry liquids onboard? . . . asked in an email from Sarah in Hingham, MA

Sarah, when's your trip? If you haven't been able to find the 3 oz (or less) travel bottles, check out www.sundition.com. You'll find they currently have the recommended size, in an affordable price.

You asked what is allowed for airline travel, I found this great information at www.wikihow.com:

Original, travel sized-items must not exceed 3 ozs (85g or 90ml) -- such as those found in hotels, restrooms, gift baskets, etc.

All the bottles must fit comfortably in a quart-sized (or less) zip top bag

Unless instructed to do otherwise at zirport screening, place the zip top bag on the x-ray scanner, along with laptops, cellphones, ipods, etc. Return the zip top bag to your carry-on bag at the other end of the scanner.

Have a great vacation Sarah.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the helpful information about the travel bottles sold at Sundition. I found those travel spray bottles you recommend in spf 15, and will order them today. I'm also looking at the sunblock hats, on the site, as they will help keep sun off my face! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently went to St. Lucia for vacation with a bunch of girlfriends, and brought several of the small spray pump bottles of SUNdition sunblock in my carry on. One of the agents at the gate screening asked me where I purchased the sunscreen, and commented that they feel bad when confiscating passenger's larger bottles. I wrote down the SUNdition website address for him. At least now he will be able to recommend an acceptable alternative when taking away the larger bottles. Danielle, Athol, MA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I wasn't able to find a small spray pump of sunblock anywhere. So glad I came across this information. I work in construction, and these small bottles of sunblock will easily fit in my tool box. They will be handy out on the boat when fishing too. Thanks for the sunscreen tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just came upon this posting while surfing for how much liquid I can bring on the plane. This is helful info. Just wish I'd found it sooner, since I'm leaving Friday night, and can't find this sun lotion in any store. Wonder if they have overnight shipping - gonna have to check the website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The smallest spray sunscreen I could find was 6 ounces, until now. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just got back from a two-week vacation in Puerto Rico. Sure wish I'd known about this before we left. I wasn't clear on the airline restrictions, so we decided to wait and buy our sun block when we got there. That was one expensive mistake. Next time, we'll be ready! Thanks for the great tip!

    ReplyDelete